Monday, June 5, 2017

BabyTeeth #1

co-creator & writter Donny Gates
co-creator & artist Garry Brown

This is the first advanced written review I've done in a long time. Tomorrow BabyTeeth #1 hits the shelves from Aftershock Comics! I have been eating up the Aftershock lately. Really enjoying their releases and BabyTeeth is no different. As you can likely assume from the cover, BabyTeeth is going in the direction of paranormal horror and I love me some paranormal stories. Of course, I don't think I've enjoyed anything from that genre since Hellblazer but those are just really big shoes to fill.

The story of BabyTeeth is narrated by a teenage mom who's having a delightfully, unexpected baby. As you can imagine its no normal child. I love the cover of this issue honestly, pentagram on the pregnancy test stick? Pretty awesome.

I wonder why the antichrist is being born to an unwed teen? Generally these types of Damian-esq stories, you have a really nice couple who's burdened with the demon child. I'm really hoping that this isn't immaculate conception although we aren't told who the father is or even where the child is in present day, or what year the story is being told from. Lot's of questions and that's good for an initial issue.

I have to say I'm not completely in love with the artwork. Yes I really liked the cover and I do actually enjoy a lot of Garry Brown's work (Black Road, Catwoman, The Massive, Daredevil), some of the panels in this book feel rushed. Has the feeling that it's more of an afterthought when I'm use to having the feeling that creator owned type books are a labor of love. However, the artwork as a whole doesn't feel like that, just a few panels. I am particularly fond of the panel of the baby with the black eyes however.

All in all, I am looking forward to seeing where this story goes. I wanna see how it differs from other stories of this nature like The Omen and Rosemary's Baby. So far the atmosphere in the story feels completely different and that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment