Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Royal Jelly: Top Picks for October 8th

Oh my goodness so much good this week! SO MUCH AWESOME. My pull list is way more exciting than last week and I didn't think that was going to happen. I had completely forgotten about a few important items.

GN
Neil Gaiman's Last Temptation
Beauty
Aurora West

Singles
Annihilator #2
Copperhead #2
Fish One Shot
The October Faction #1
Dark Engine #3
Punk the Comic #1
Wytches #1

TP
She Hulk Vol 1: Law and Disorder

My week is vastly improved by new work being released by Paul Pope. The Rise of Aurora West part 1 comes out this Wednesday! FINALLY!! I special ordered mine online so I won't get right on release date which is kind sad. So I may have a very late review on that one.

There are lot of first issues out this week. Punk the Comic, The October Faction and Wytches are the three that I'm most excited to check out. Image is also releasing Birthright #1. It's not on my list of grabs but Image has been putting out a lot of buzz on this one so you might want to keep it in your radar.

It's worth mentioning that there is a One Shot I plan to grab called Fish by Bianca Bagnarelli. I noticed a little buzz about it over the last few weeks and decided this was one I had to check out. The artwork is absolutely up my alley. It has an ethereal quality that nearly reminded me of Miyazaki. 

Most likely my favorite comic book of all time is being release in a collected hardcover. The story Miss Don't Touch Me became a favorite of mine after is was given to me by my friend Matthew before he moved away. The french duo known by their pen name Kerascoet, is released yet another amazing work on top of their earlier release in the beginning of the year Beautiful Darkness. This time they release Beauty which is being released in it's English translation this Wednesday. I'm really excited about this one. They are one of my all-time favorite illustrators in the world. You should really check this out.

I'd like to make mention of Annihilator #2 from Legendary. This is Grant Morrison's latest brilliance. I LOVED the first issue and you should really get your hands on it if you haven't. This is one of the most exciting mini series I've seen in a really long time. This is currently out ranking most of my favorite creators' works right now for me and that's really saying something. This science fiction story breaks the barriers when washed up, dying writer Ray and the crumbling walls between fiction and reality.

FINALLY SHE HULK! This is one of those series I've been waiting to join in on. Numerous times of looking at the stands and seeing these amazing covers. My friend Ben had this to say as we discussed it, "Pulido's art is like if Kirby and Ditko gave birth to the Hernandez Bros." That one made me giggle while trying to envisions it literally. 

In other news, I thought I'd mention that Batgirl debut's her new costume this Wednesday with a selfie cover. I thought it was kinda cute and maybe clever. It appeals to a generation that I'm a little ahead of. The selfie things never really made a lot of sense to me. Anyway, her costume is pretty rad and people are pretty excited about it. 

Wow this really does look like a stellar week for female characters in comics doesn't it? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment