Thursday, January 10, 2013

Orange by TAKANO Ichigo


The first thing I noticed when I began reading this manga, was the very minimalistic backgrounds. The second thing I noticed was boxed narration that Junji Ito likes to use as well. The third thing I noticed was that it didn't have a real polished look and for all it's minimalism there were pages that felt rather un-finished. I can't help but wonder if this is simply due to lack of experience.
Chapter 1 starts out with our main character discovering a letter that was written by her older self and sent from 10 years in the future. Yeay, time travel! The letter tells her exactly what will happen that day and explains how to act towards the new transfer student who starts class the same day the letter arrives.
I couldn't find too much info about this particular manga, only that it's first publication was in 2012 and I'm reading fan translations. From what I can gather, this was an electronic publication? I can't seem to find any info on whether it had been published in a magazine or as a single. The artist is younger than I am... damn.. and has worked on a couple other manga although I have not read them (Bambi no Tegami, Itoshi Kingyo, Shooting Star). I was drawn to this manga purely because I loved the cover image used in the reviews I read. Yes, I do judge my books by their covers even when they are online thumbnails. Shut up and stop looking at me like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment